The Chairman of the Joint Chief and another top general, Kenneth McKenzie, revealed that they had advised against the Afghan withdrawal. Instead, they suggested President Biden keep 2,500 troops in Afghanistan. McKenzie, the Centcom commander, said; “We anticipated that the U.S. withdrawal would cause the collapse of the Afghan armed force and a Taliban takeover.”
The development comes a long time after a turbulent withdrawal at the Kabul air terminal as foreign forces tried to get their citizens home and a large number of frantic Afghans asked for rescue.
Biden defends Afghan withdrawal
Talking in a firm tone from the White House, Biden said that keeping US troops in charge of the airport in the Afghan capital beyond August 31st withdrawal cutoff time would have presented them to uplifted security hazard.
President Joe Biden mounted an arrogant defense of the withdrawal. He said it was the best choice to end the US’s 20-year military presence in Afghanistan. Mr. Biden highlighted how America’s objective in Afghanistan had transformed from a counter-terrorism oppression activity to country building. The reason behind the US mediation in Afghanistan was to prevent a terrorist attack on America and they never expected to be making a centralized democracy.
Biden contended that the Afghanistan exit was in Washington’s greatest strategic interests. As the US moves its international strategy to zero in on global competition with China and Russia
Donald Trump authorised the release of 5,000 prisoners
The Trump government arrived at an agreement last year. They agreed upon the release of 5,000 Taliban individuals in return for 1,000 Afghan security force prisoners. This trade ends with completion in September 2020. More than 400 Taliban detainees with perpetrated major crimes were given their freedom
A few senior members from the Taliban were also released from Guantanamo Bay during the Obama rule in 2014, as a part of a detainee exchange.
Also read: Taliban terror in Afghanistan: UN concerns
Joint Chiefs chairman calls Afghan withdrawl a ‘strategic failure’
The top U.S. military official called the 20-year battle in Afghanistan a strategic failure. He revealed to Congress that he suggested keeping a few thousand soldiers in the nation. That was to prevent a collapse of the U.S supported Kabul government
General Miley anticipated a very possibility that al-Qaida or the Islamic State group’s Afghanistan affiliate could reconstitute in Afghanistan under Taliban rule and present a terrorist danger to the US in the next 12 to three years.
It was al-Qaida’s utilization of Afghanistan as a base from which they design and execute its attacks on the US on Sept. 11th that set off the U.S. intrusion of Afghanistan after a month.
As indicated by the US Department of defense, the total military expenses in Afghanistan had reached $825bn. The other $130bn was spent on reconstruction projects. That brings the absolute expense, based on official data, to $955bn between 2001 and 2020. This study also includes spending for Pakistan, which the US utilized as a base for Afghan-related activities.
The Taliban took over Afghanistan in a blitz recently. They took over Kabul on August 15 as President Ashraf Ghani escaped the country and government powers collapsed.