UN Secretary-General welcomes an extension of the deadline for cross-border aid operation in Syria. Last Friday, the UN Security Council called for an extension of the deadline for increasing cross-border aid operation in Syria. António Guterres the Secretary-General welcomed the incident through his spokesman, saying it was a “very important step” in saving the lives of millions in the region.
UN called for caring for humanitarian needs by using the border Bab- al-Hawa. Here noted that the aid operation which is ruined by Security Council would go to expire Saturday, 10th July. But now it is extended for the next 12 months which means that it need not renew in January, next year.
For a long time, the people of northwestern Syria have been living inhumane lives, where their only reliance has been on UN-sponsored aid, which usually reaches Syria by crossing the border between Turkey and Syria.
The lives of most Syrians have been endangered by the Syrian crisis for decades, including children and women. Last year, Turkey exacerbated the conflict in Syria. However, where the Coronavirus has affected the developed world, its impact on Syria Can be easily guessed.
In addition, millions of people have been stranded in the border areas and have been living in danger for a long time. The only source of livelihood for all these people is the help to cross the border.
After a week-long delay, the UN Secretary-General on Friday stressed the importance of providing aid to Syria. He also said that the UN should be prepared to raise more funds if necessary. The task of analyzing and providing assistance to critical conditions will be facilitated.
A representative working in Syria after the UN aid offer was adopted said that the suffering of the Syrian people was “really heartbreaking”. He also said that especially the people of the Northwest are living in trouble. The ongoing war between Turkey and Syria makes the situation worse, he added.