Berry is an English word that means Grape. They are usually round, juicy and bright coloured. Berry has a sweet and sour taste. People around the world love to eat berries due to their multiple benefits and delicious tastes.
Different forms of Berries include Strawberries, Raspberries, Blueberries, Cranberries, Bilberries, Bearberries, Redcurrants, blackcurrants, and many more.
Berries are extremely nutritious and low in calories. These are rich in antioxidants. antioxidants in berries include anthocyanins, ellagic acid, and resveratrol. There are several health benefits present in these berries.
Where We Find Berry
Berries of different kinds grow around the world. Mostly located in cold regions. There are a number of berries having different regional and seasonal variations.
- Strawberries are the most known berries around the world. Mostly found in the regions of Northern hemisphere. Could be grown in cold regions.
- Raspberries are mostly found in Northern Europe, Canada, USA and Russia. Russia is the leading producer of Raspberries.
- Cranberries are traditionally associated with the United States and Candians. It is mostly a Thanksgiving and Christmas dish.
- Blackberries are actually all those berries that grow on cane and also include raspberries. They are found in North and South American, Europe and some parts of Asia.
- Bilberries are often referred to as European blueberries. Found in northern Europe and looks similar to the North American blueberries.
- Bearberries also called kinnikinnick appear in the rocky and sandy woods in Northern America.
Interesting Facts about Berry
The berries are in numerous forms and tastes. Although most of them are rare and not commonly found. There are many distinct facts about berries. Some of the following are below :
Strawberries are the most liked fruit around the world. Interestingly strawberries aren’t true berries like blueberries and grapes. Strawberries are the only fruit having their seeds on the outside.
Bilberries are the European and American most liked fruit. They used it in pies and cakes. Bilberries have other names called blaeberry, whortleberry, whinberry, myrtle blueberry, and fraughan. People mostly choose it to put in Christmas desserts.
There are over 200 species of Raspberries. Raspberries crossed with other berries to form new species. The loganberry is a cross between raspberries and blueberries. Boysenberry is a cross between the loganberries, raspberries, and blackberries.
- Goji berries
It is a medicinal plant that people of China for centuries. These berries contain all 8 essential amino acids. Some company brands market goji berries as a superfood. Goji berry juice is considered to increase energy, athletic performance, and quality of sleep.
- There are some Poisonous Berries
There are many berries that contain toxic compounds. These may have fatal side effects.
Jerusalem cherries: these are yellow-red berries. It contains solanine which causes gastrointestinal infections, stomach pain, and irregular heartbeat.
Ivy berries: These are orange-yellow berries. It contains saponin which causes nausea, vomiting and stomach pains.
Yew berries: These are bright red berries. It contains potentially toxic seeds. Eating more yew berries would cause seizures.
How the Berries benefits your Health
There are numerous health benefits of taking berries. Here is a brief overview of berries health effects:
- Berries being antioxidant, help control free radicals and reduce oxidative stress.
- Most berries are high in Fiber. This May control the excess calorie intake.
- Berries work as anti-inflammation, antioxidants help reduce inflammatory spots on body and skin.
- Berries are heart friendly fruit. Daily intake of Strawberry drink may lower LDL level.
- Berries, especially strawberries, are protective against cancer cells in the liver.
- According to research published in Neurology, people who take a serving of berries in a week would have a reduced chance of developing Parkinson’s disease.
- Another research published in Antioxidants in 2016, showed that berries help protect against gastrointestinal, breast pancreatic and lung cancers.
- Bilberries are most known for their ability to improve vision, particularly night vision.
Q: Which berries are used to treat malaria in traditional medicine?